Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thanksgiving in the Egan Hall Cafeteria

This past week my friends and classmates and I celebrated Thanksgiving in the Egan Hall Cafeteria! This was actually a big deal for some of us because I will be taking a study abroad trip with my history class and four professors and we won't be in the United States for Thanksgiving :(

Here's a super super quick run down of how this study abroad program works:
You take a class during fall, winter or spring term (mine was a European history class) and at the end of the term, the class and teacher take a trip over the break following final exams! My class leaves on Wednesday November 16 and comes home Sunday November 27. We will be traveling to London for the first half of the trip, followed by Paris!! I CANNOT WAIT - I'm super excited and overwhelmed but it will be loads of fun!

Turkey carving in the Egan Cafeteria
So...back to Thanksgiving! Since we'll be missing Thanksgiving and the Parisians don't celebrate Turkey Day, our history class went to the cafeteria, run by Parkhurst Dining. They truly put out ALL the Thanksgiving trimmings!


The main line had literally every Thanksgiving food you could imagine: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, ham, broccoli and cauliflower bake, corn, beans, rolls, etc.

Cheese line at the Egan Cafeteria
Along with the main line there was a cheese and bread line as well as desserts with anything you can think of that can be made out of pumpkin! Since I'll be gone for Thanksgiving, it was so so so nice to have such an awesome meal which felt just like Thanksgiving at home. It's also really nice for those who may not celebrate Thanksgiving or who may be too far away from home to go home over break!

Friends enjoying dinner in the Egan Cafeteria

I believe I've said this before but I'll say it again, it is definitely hard being away from home and not having my mom's cooking (especially because I grew up with my mom cooking dinner every night!). BUT I can always find something to eat in the Egan Hall Cafeteria and the Laker Inn, our two dining locations on campus!

Liz, Sarah and I enjoying dinner!

This will be my last post before we leave for the trip...I am hoping to have some kind of internet access so that I can post pictures periodically while I'm away. Until next time, take advantage of the opportunities ahead of you. NEVER again will I be able to go to Europe with my friends for such a cheap price. These are the moments that I will look back on and Mercyhurst memories that I will cherish forever!


Enjoy your holiday!!

"Slow down you crazy child
Take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while
It's alright you can afford to lose a day or two"

Billy Joel,Vienna

No comments:

Post a Comment