Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Sunday, December 11, 2011

Staying Local For College

Hello readers! Are you enjoying the Christmas season- there's been some snow falling here in Erie, so we are all prepared for a white Christmas with our winter wonderland!


As you know, I am from Erie and decided to stay here for college...while there were many factors in this decision, my family played a huge part in deciding to go to Mercyhurst. When I was making my decision, it was down to Mercyhurst and a school of the same size and nature in Cleveland but knowing that living in Erie would allow me to be near my family was a definite plus! I am happy that I have them so close because we often have family activities and functions and since I am so close, I am able to easily go home and see everyone whenever I want to or whenever something is going on!
Grandma's cake!




Today my entire family celebrated my great-grandma's 96th birthday!! I know, you're thinking wow, Lindsay has some good family genes- haha you're right! Other than some memory issues, she is in great condition and we are so happy to have her with us!








My family with great-grandma1

It was so much fun to have the family together and of course a wonderful event to celebrate! Although she jokingly told everyone that she is now 39 years old, 96 years old is quite remarkable!






While I am getting a different type of experience than others who have moved away from home for school, I am truly thankful that I made the decision to stay close to home. In evaluating what my priorities were, family was at the top of my list, thus making Mercyhurst so suitable. It is a great school, I am getting a top-notch education but I can also easily run home for a home-cooked meal, I can see my family at a moment's notice and I never have to miss out on special events- let's be honest, it's not every day that you get to attend a 96th birthday party! To those who are toying between a school close to home or one that is far away...carefully consider things that you could be missing out!

Four generations! My great-grandma, my papa, my mom and aunt and the cousins!


"Families are like fudge... mostly sweet with a few nuts."


No comments:

Post a Comment