Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Thursday, September 13, 2012

Back for More - Life as a Graduate Student

 
Receiving my diploma from Dr. Gamble
A whirlwind of emotions were felt last May as I (partially) said goodbye to my undergraduate experiences, friends and memories. Graduation was filled with tears, laughter and excitement as my classmates and I prepared to walk across the stage to receive our diplomas as the FIRST graduating class of Mercyhurst University – how awesome is that!
I ended my time as an undergraduate student by graduating Magna cum Laude and receiving one of my university’s highest graduation awards, the Frank Barry Leadership Award, given to a graduating senior who has exemplified superior student leadership and campus involvement during his/her time at Mercyhurst University. I was honored to receive this award and very proud of myself for my accomplishments. 
 My family – the biggest and loudest cheering section ever – was there to spend the day with me. My four years at Mercyhurst were surely filled with friends, laughter, hard work, sleepless nights filled with homework and club work but most importantly, the very best of times!

So…just when you thought it was the end…think again.

I’m back for more!


After being accepted to Mercyhurst University into the Organizational Leadership program and finding out that there was a new concentration in Higher Education Administration, I was nearly sold on staying for another two years.

Tom and I at the opening of the CAE!
 What made things even better was that after receiving my acceptance, I was able to apply for a graduate assistantship to help offset the costs of tuition as well as give me a chance to work at Mercyhurst which seemed perfect as I hope to work in higher education when I am finished with school. I was fortunate to be offered a position with the Advancement/Alumni Relations and Annual Giving departments.

My desk in my very own office!!
My graduate assistantship has me busy working 25-30 hours a week on top of taking two classes each trimester. One of my main duties will be to oversee the phonathon which is when some of our current students call alumni in fundraising efforts. I also get to help with a lot of fun events put on by the Alumni department such as the opening of our new Academic Center for Engagement and Homecoming which is just one week away!

Stay tuned for more adventures of this brand new “graduate girl” and my (second) time at Mercyhurst University!

No comments:

Post a Comment