Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Monday, April 30, 2012

Presenting Communication Research in Boston

This past weekend my fellow researchers and I presented our research for the second time at the annual Eastern Communication Association Conference. This year it was held in Cambridge Massachusetts...a very long nine hour ride from Mercyhurst University but it was well worth it! Alicia, Kelly and I were joined by two other groups of communication researchers, the nine of us represented Mercyhurst University in a great way, we were all very fortunate to have been accepted to the conference and it was great experience to have. 
This is one example of the ways that Mercyhurst students excel in and out of the classroom. It is one thing to have our own professors tell us that we're good at what we do but it's always a great feeling when people outside of the gates tell us too!


We left Mercyhurst on Thursday and returned on Sunday...in between those days we presented our research at a poster session in which communication scholars from several graduate programs from the East coast walked around and asked us questions about our research, all of them were very impressed by our hard work- can you believe we have been researching Muslims and America for nearly TWO YEARS?! 
After we presented we had some free time to explore the city, I had never been to Boston so I was super excited to see everything. While I was there I even had a chance to visit my friend Kacie who was a fashion merchandising major here at MU and she now lives in the Boston area, using her degree as she works for T.J. Maxx! I think my favorite part of the weekend was visiting the Cheers bar, the bar that the famous sitcom is based off of - so so cool!


So the moral of the weekend's story is - our education is leading us in so many directions and opening up many doors of opportunity. It was fun to get off campus for a weekend but SO good to return home to Mercyhurst. I hate to say it but there are only two weeks left...bring on the graduation excitement and celebrations...and tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment