Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hey winter term, how'd you get here so fast?!

It is with heavy hearts the Mercyhurst begins winter term. A fellow junior here, Jenni-Lyn Watson passed away over break. I wrote about her in an earlier post and I asked for prayers for her and her family. Her funeral was today and Mercyhurst provided two buses to take students to the mass and the entire community paused for a moment of prayer and silence today at 11:30 as the funeral began. My heart goes out to her family and all of her friends here at Mercyhurst who are hurting.

I have hit the ground running with winter term. There's literally no way to ease into it! This term I have a unique situation, I am only taking 2 classes and my 3rd class is an off campus internship. Here at Mercyhurst, a lot of majors require students to complete an internship before graduating while some majors strongly recommend them. My major is one that strongly recommends it...I know that as a Business major, when I am finished with school I will be competing against many many many other Business majors in the job market. I definitely am working hard to do things that will set me apart from other people and an internship is a great way to do so. Through working here at Mercyhurst in the Admissions office and the Center for Student Engagement and Leadership Development, I have come to know that I would like to pursue a career in the higher education field. Therefore, I sought out an internship that will give me great experience. I am interning at Mercyhurst Preparatory School, which was originally combined in one building with Mercyhurst College but is now located just south of our campus (it also just happens to be my high school). My internship is taking place in the Admissions office and my supervisor, Mrs. DiTullio has a lot of things planned for me to do and I super excited. This is not going to be a boring, coffee getting kind of internship!

My classes that I have are Quality Leadership with Mr. Daryl Georger who is so funny and brings a ton of real world experience to the class. Just the other day, in order to prove a point about costs, he called up a friend from GE to ask a question. He definitely knows how to make class fun and not overwhelming but at the same time he has so much knowledge to share and I know I will learn a lot.
My other class is Catholic Symbols and Sacraments with Mr. Caeser Monteveccio. At Mercyhurst we are required to take two religion classes however, they are not limited to Catholicism, there's a bunch of different class options to choose from. I am really excited for this class because Mr. Monteveccio also seems like he will make the class be interesting. Also, I had him during my first term, freshman year and he remembered me years later. I think that is pretty cool because it truly shows that you will not just be a number here, teachers actually make an attempt and do a good job at getting to know students.

I'm looking forward to a great term!!

If I may offer a suggestion: the 25 days of Christmas starts today on ABC Family. It's an AWESOME way to get into the holiday spirit ... who doesn't absolutely love Christmas movies. So grab a cup of hot chocolate and tune it!

No comments:

Post a Comment