Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mercyhurst's Career Development Center's Role in My Successes

I just wanted to give a summary of how my internship is going thus far. Last week was midterm so I am a little over half way through my internship. I am interning at Mercyhurst Preparatory School (it is located just south of Mercyhurst College, on the same piece of land and was originally in the same building as Mercyhurst College) in the Admissions office. Through working at Mercyhurst in both the Admissions office and the Center for Student Engagement and Leadership Development, I have grown very fond of the higher education world. As a business major, there are many avenues that I could pursue in the future in the world of higher education. Since I know this is what I want to do "when I grow up," last term, as I was scheduling for classes, I went to the Career Development Center on campus to talk to Mr. Rizzone who helped me set up my internship.

Mercyhurst is unique because we have a Career Development Center that is 100% dedicated to our students. They offer career counseling, career fairs, cover letters and resumes, job placement help, graduate and professional school advising, a large job and internship database and help in deciding on a major. WOW! That's quite the list of help that you can get from this department. What's even better is that it is so easy to get help...you can walk into the offices and everyone there is so helpful...at a larger school, you may not be able to receive one on one attention and such great help like you can here at Mercyhurst.

Thus far, I have gone to the Career Development Center for help creating my resume, I have taken advantage of the access to the online internship database, I have also created my internship with their help.
So far, my internship has been awesome. I am required to complete 200 hours over the course of the term, I go to the internship every day for a few hours. I am mainly working on the application process and setting up shadow visits. Shadow visits are when 8th graders come to spend a day with a current 9th grader. We make sure that they have a great day and hopefully love the school!

I am so thankful for the help of the Career Development Center, it is such a good resource to have on our campus and I am looking forward to working with the people from that department in the future as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment