Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Want to be an Ambassador, I Want to Shout it Out Loud!

Reason # 5 to come to Mercyhurst: Our "club life" is where it's at! Mercyhurst offers over 85 registered clubs and organizations that students can get involved in. Even better, if the club doesn't exist here, you can create it! Brandon, a boy in my grade, is really into public speaking and becoming a better presenter and there was not a club here that pertained to that interest, so through the office of Student Engagement and Leadership Development, he created the "Public Speaking Club."

When I give tours of the school, a frequently asked question by parents and students is "what advice can you give to a student coming into Mercyhurst?" My first answer is always to GET INVOLVED! Being involved with things at Mercyhurst will completely make your experience. We offer such a wide variety of clubs, there is something for everyone here.
For more information on student life and activities here at Mercyhurst, check of this link:
http://mercyhurst.edu/student-life/

One of my favorite clubs on campus is the Ambassador Club. It was one of the first clubs I wanted to be involved in when I started here as a freshman. The Ambassadors are the people that you see walking around campus wearing beautiful and prestigious green jackets.

Becoming an Ambassador is actually a long process, this is because the club only accepts the best. The Ambassadors are students from all grades, our main job is to give tours of the school to prospective students. Other things that we do are tours for alumni/important visitors of the school and working various functions and ceremonies all the school throughout the school year.



So, to become an Ambassador, one must go through the "pledge process." How it works is that you have to attend a class (once a week) for two consecutive terms. During the first term you learn all about the history of the school, you present a three minute speech and you take an exam. If you are accepted into the second term, the second term gets a little more intense, you must once again give a speech, this time it's five minutes, take an exam, shadow a current Ambassador on two tours and then conduct a "solo" tour of your very own. 
If you are accepted into the club, you get to attend the "Spring Tea" in which you receive the coveted green jacket, sign the book and sing the Ambassador song (it's basically 60 college kids screaming/singing the words "I want to be an Ambassador, I want to shout it out loud"). 
Once you are in the club, you are awarded with a scholarship and you must complete 100 hours per school year.
I joined the club when I was a freshmen, I was inducted during spring term of that year. Joining the club has been so beneficial for me and it was one of my smartest moves so far. 

This year, I am secretary of the club, so I am awarded with a larger scholarship and I have a few extra duties. I love love love the Ambassador club, I made so many great friends and have been given countless opportunities. I am extremely proud to wear the green jacket and to be a member of one of the most elite clubs at Mercyhurst College! 

No comments:

Post a Comment