Welcome to my blog - Read all about my many adventures as a graduate student in the Organizational Leadership program, a graduate assistant for the Office of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and most importantly a Mercyhurst University alum!


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wendy Wednesday!

For the past two summers I've worked in the Admissions office here at Mercyhurst. It has been a lot of fun and I made some really good friends working there. During the school year I also work in the Admissions office as a work study, I get paid minimum wage and I complete 5.5 hours of work each week; this isn't too difficult or too time consuming, but I am still able to make some money, which for a broke college student, is pretty nice!

Back to my summer job...during the summer when I work in Admissions I basically do a few different things, I prepare folders that we give to prospective students who come in for tours, I send out packages to students who have inquired about Mercyhurst and most importantly, I give tours!
Giving tours of Mercyhurst is one of my favorite things to do. I love it so much because I have grown so very fond of Mercyhurst and when I give tours, it is my chance to show prospective students why Mercyhurst is the best choice for them. I have gotten very successful at really getting to know students along the tours and then trying to adapt the tour to their special interests. It is so easy to do this because Mercyhurst has something cool to offer for every type of person.
This past summer I worked with a fun group of kids as well as the Admissions staff. Deb, is my boss and she is so much fun, she is sort of everyone in the Ambassador clubs "on campus mom." She takes care of us and we all love her very much! I also worked with Nick, who I have actually known since 4th grade, we went to grade school, high school and now college together! My other co-workers were Kaleigh who is from Erie, we went to the same high school but we didn't really know each other until college, Rhona who is from Ireland and is pretty neat because she has an accent and really funny stories and finally Michelle who is from Jamaica and I always try to mimic her accent but it turns out somewhat like an old English woman hahah!

Every Wednesday during the summer has been deemed "Wendy Wednesday." It's pretty self-explanatory, we go to Wendy's and order tons of food and then bring it back to the office and we eat, chat and of course laugh!
The kids that I worked with this summer of course miss me so much (haha I miss them too) so we decided to get back together today and have a Wendy Wednesday in the Admissions office. Deb, my boss, of course joined in, she loves Wendy Wednesday and she was SO excited that we planned one for today. It was nice to catch up and get together with the group from the summer. Michelle was not there because she is now going to grad school in London! Pretty cool, I know!

So that's what Wendy Wednesday is! It was nice to pretend like it was summer for a little bit and it's always nice to get together with friends since it's so hard to see each other due to our busy busy busy schedules!

Reason #3 to come to Mercyhurst: the people that you'll meet! Who would have thought I would become friends with an Irish girl, a Jamaican girl and a girl that I went to high school with but never really got a chance to talk to! Thanks to college, I've made MANY great friends :-)

1 comment: